WASHINGTON–(BUSINESS WIRE)–As GEICOween season ramps into full swing, GEICO has a few tips to help make this year’s Halloween safe and enjoyable, whether you plan to drive a group of trick-or-treaters around for the evening, or venture out on foot to amass mounds of fresh candy.
Add these tips to your Halloween safety plan:
- Stick to sidewalks: Keeping off the streets altogether is one of the easiest ways to stay safe while trick-or-treating. If you wander to an area without sidewalks, walk as far to the side of the road as you can, and make sure to face traffic so you can immediately see when a car is approaching.
- Make yourself visible: Many of the spookiest Halloween costumes come in dark colors, which can put trick-or-treaters at risk for not being noticed by drivers. Consider carrying a glow stick or taking advantage of the flashlight feature on your smartphone to give drivers a better chance of spotting you once it gets dark outside.
- Go slower than usual: If you’re traveling in a residential area or somewhere else that may have a large crowd of trick-or-treaters, plan to take your time. You may need to drive under the posted speed limit so you have enough time to scan your surroundings.
- Remember the rules of the road: For drivers, that means giving pedestrians the right of way and yielding at crosswalks. Pedestrians should only cross a street when the traffic signal permits, if one is available. If there is no signal present, try to establish contact with a driver by waving to make sure the driver sees you.
- Delete distractions from the plan: This tip applies to both drivers and pedestrians. Drivers need to be fully alert to spot pedestrians, and pedestrians need to pay attention so they don’t accidentally put themselves in harm’s way with oncoming traffic. Leave all phone functions alone and stop in a safe spot if you need to grab something in the car or readjust a Halloween costume.
GEICO (Government Employees Insurance Company), the second-largest auto insurer in the U.S., was founded in 1936 and insures more than 28 million vehicles. For more than 80 years, the company has worked to make people’s lives better by protecting policyholders against unexpected events. As GEICO has grown, it has delivered money-saving coverage and outstanding customer service to policyholders through its investment in human resources and technology. GEICO is a member of the Berkshire Hathaway family of companies.