DC gearmotors are small, geared motors that offer variable speed and torque control, which are essential in healthcare settings. DC gearmotors can be found in a number of applications, however selecting the right type of motor for the application will drastically impact the efficiency and overall performance of the machine.
How to select the correct DC gearmotor
In order to optimize the design of medical machines, it’s vital that the correct DC gearmotor is chosen. There are a couple of key considerations for selecting the motor:
- What is the application? – Understanding the application will help you select the right motor.
- Brushed or brushless? – There are two main types of DC gearmotors: brushed and brushless. Brushed motors don’t require electronics to operate, whereas brushless motors require an external module or built-in drive for generating power. However, brushless motors are able to run at higher speeds.
Medical applications for DC gearmotors
Technology is transforming our healthcare, from surgical robots to powered prosthetic limbs and exoskeletons, from every day healthcare to life saving treatment, our reliance on this technology is only growing.
And these technological advancement in medical products have been made possible thanks to advances in medical motors and electronic devices used to power them.
Here are just some of the applications you’ll find DC gearmotors in:
- Motorized wheelchairs and scooters – Over 3 million Americans use a wheelchair full-time, and its gearmotors that enable wheelchair-bound people to enjoy their freedom.
- Air pumps and ventilators – Air delivery systems for medical applications require precise, reliable pump solutions to accurately control volume, pressure and flow. Brushless DC motors and high-performance motor drives are the perfect choice for ventilators, providing small size, high torque density, precise motor speed control and low noise, the ideal solution for regulated air flow.
- Medical imaging – Medical imaging systems such as CT scanners and MRI machines are indispensable tools in today’s medical diagnostic environment and the automated motion aspects of the equipment is critical to their functionality. Brushless DC motor technologies combined with high-performance drive platforms provide a complete motion control system that delivers the accuracy and reliability this sophisticated equipment requires.
- Hospital beds, examination tables, and patient transport – Positioning control on hospital beds, exam tables and patient transport systems require the smooth powerful control provided by DC motors and drives.
- Stair lifts – Motorized stair lifts require the smooth powerful torque of permanent magnet DC brush motors and gearmotors to provide the comfortable and reliable motion that users expect.
- Surgical robots – The accuracy and minimal invasiveness of today’s surgical equipment has truly revolutionized the modern operating room. Stepper, brush and brushless DC motors, gearmotors, mechanical actuators and drives are all key components in this type of automated equipment.