Today, the Swedish Transport Administration (Trafikverket) announced the pre-commercial procurement results for the electric road system tender.
The consortium Smart Road Gotland (Gotland GPe Circuit AB as its applicant) won the final round of the tender with the highest evaluation points, despite the much bigger industrial competitors.
Electreon AB (a wholly owned subsidiary of Electreon Wireless) will lead the project’s next phase to provide vital knowledge of the future potential of dynamic wireless mobile power transfer through this demonstration road system.
This public-private initiative, based on Electreon’s leading technology, will be the first in the world to charge inductively both an electric truck and a bus while in full motion.
To enable the mission-critical knowledge transfer to the Swedish Transport Administration, the Smart Road Gotland consortium will deploy a fully functional public shuttle service and test bed through a 1.6 km long electric road as part of the total route of 4.1 km between the airport and city center of Visby on the idyllic island of Gotland, an eco-municipality in the middle of the Baltic Sea.
The electric truck will be test-driven by a professional in varied seasonal conditions to ensure that the system is ready for large-scale projects on highways.
As an integral strategic step towards implementing the Swedish government’s national roadmap for electric road systems, the Smart Road Gotland project will create a vital learning curve for the authority.
Long haul heavy trucks benefit significantly from the Electreon solution since no heavy and costly batteries, nor stops for charging, are needed. This optimal solution enables installation of electric road systems without the environmental impact (benefits are both physical and visual) of a conductive system.
After acquiring relevant ERS demonstration results, the Swedish Transport Administration can evaluate the potential for larger scale electric road investments.
Initially, Gotland GPe Circuit AB (GotlandRing, world’s first sustainable race and test circuit) – with the support of World Ecological Forum (a global crossover sustainability network, a facilitator and enabler of green business and entrepreneurship) started the project in co-operation with Electreon- ‘For the whole consortium, it’s wonderful news that we have been selected as the top candidate. It is of utmost importance to significantly reduce CO2-emissions within the transport sector. To commence with the heavier transports is logical since the biggest emission improvements can be gained where the usage and tonnage is the highest. The future positive impact could be global.’, comments Alec Arho-Havrén, CEO/Founder Gotland GPe Circuit/GotlandRing and World Ecological Forum.
– ‘We, the Swedish Transport Administration, believe that electric roads are an important contribution to reducing CO2-emissions from heavy transportation. Demonstrating and evaluating new technical solutions for electric routes is one of our most important steps in our long-term plan for a potential rollout of electrified routes on the heavy road network in Sweden.’, says Jan Pettersson, program manager, Trafikverket (The Swedish Transport Administration)
– ‘We are excited that we have been selected to take part in the Swedish government’s ambitious program to examine and implement electric road technology as a solution to electrify heavy trucks on highways. Electreon’s wireless electric road technology makes it possible to electrify truck fleets economically without the need to carry huge batteries and stop for charging and without creating a visual hazard. The selection of Electreon by the Swedish government after careful filtration testifies to the recognition of the potential of the technology to bring the global electrification revolution to the next critical stage of full implementation.’, Oren Ezer, CEO of Electreon, comments.
– ‘It is exciting and positive that Trafikverket wants to see this unique technology and test bed realised on Gotland. It strengthens the image of Gotland as one of the most innovative and climate smart regions in the world.’, says the chairwoman of the regional government, Eva Nypelius (C).
The Smart Road Gotland consortium members include:
- Electreon AB – a fully owned Swedish subsidiary of Electreon wireless (publicly traded on the Tel Aviv Stock Exchange, a leader in dynamic wireless power transfer technology
- EiTech – a Swedish subsidiary of Vinci, one of the world’s biggest infrastructure and construction companies
- RISE RESEARCH INSTITUTES OF SWEDEN – Sweden’s research institute and innovation partner and a leading research institute in the field of electric roads
- Gotland GPe Circuit AB, Gotland Ring – world’s first sustainable race and test circuit, traffic electrification partner for the vehicle industry
- World Ecological Forum – a global crossover sustainability network, a facilitator and enabler of green business and entrepreneurship (project initiator)
- Matters Group – a sustainability consultancy
- Flygbussarna – a local Swedish public transportation operator owned by TransDev, formerly Veolia TransDev, a French international public transport operator, with operations in 20 countries
- Swedavia – the Swedish airport authority
- Dan transport – Israel’s leading bus operator and a strategic investor in Electreon will provide a HIGER E-Bus based on Supercapacitor
- Hutchinson – a leading French manufacturer will manufacture the underground coils
- Eco-municipality of Gotland – the most popular tourist destination summer time, an eco region
- GEAB – utility company, electricity supplier (owned 75% by Vattenfall, 25% by the municipality)
Smart Road Gotland synopsis
- Technology: Dynamic mobile wireless power transfer, https://www.electreon.com/technology
- Invisible installation to road users (coils deployed 8 cm under the surface) and activated only when corresponding vehicle drives on top of it
- Located in Visby, Gotland, the Swedish island in the Baltic Sea, an eco-municipality
- 1.6 km of the 4.1 km airport route will be electrified
- Compatible with all types of EVs, including buses, trucks, passenger cars, including self-driving vehicles (a typical passenger car can be equipped with just one 12 kg receptor, heavier vehicles can have more units to optimise charging levels)
- The main project mission is acquiring knowledge for the Swedish Transport Administration, including demonstrating the environmental and commercial benefits
- World Ecological Forum and Gotland GPe Circuit AB/GotlandRing initially contacted Electreon (Tel Aviv listed public company) to initiate a demonstration test bed on Gotland, which is now realised thanks to Trafikverket
- Budget for the public-private project: SEK 116 M
Smart Energy Road and Traffic System (SERTS) synopsis
- Smart Energy Road and Traffic System (SERTS), an energy harvesting smart infrastructure, finalist i InfraAwards 2017, testbeds planned on GotlandRing in the future
- The vision is to enable access to limitless sustainable energy through smart infrastructure development and simultaneously urge the paradigm for e-mobility. Our mission is to develop and commercialise an energy harvesting electric road system, a modular, self healing micro smart grid with wireless, mobile dynamic charging for electric vehicles.
- Unique combination of solar, thermal, wind, kinetic, and hydraulic energy harvesting technology that provides decentralised and secure energy
- Innovative infrastructure with options – in road, covered tiling, contoured (roadside) solar panels, can also be combined with existing road
- Synergetic systems for energy harvesting, capture, storage of 100% renewable energy
- Enables smart e-mobility on a large scale and solves range anxiety
- Electreon’s dynamic wireless power transfer is an important planned feature for the SERTS
GotlandRing/Gotland GPe Circuit AB synopsis
- World’s first sustainable race and test circuit, traffic electrification and new model launch partner for the vehicle industry
- Located in a former limestone quarry
- Green business campus and eco resort development area
- About to enter an expansion phase making it the longest modern standard race circuit in the world
SOURCE: Gotland GPE Circuit
Alma Celebrates Its Platinum Anniversary – 20 Years of Global Leadership
Alma, one of the top five global leaders of energy-based medical and aesthetic solutions, today announced global launch of its 20th anniversary celebrations, kicked-off in Milan, one of the world’s beauty capitals, during WCD tradeshow
From its early days, Alma has been at the forefront of medical and aesthetics technologies, carrying the torch of revolution in various arenas around the world, determined to become a market leader. Today, Alma is a world-leading provider of energy-based solutions for the surgical, medical aesthetics and beauty markets, delivering cutting-edge technologies to its partners and customers in over 80 countries.
Alma’s 20th anniversary events and activities will span around the world throughout 2019, celebrating our journey guided by our key values:
- Wellbeing of body and soul, a positive celebration of life
- Knowledge – harness the industry’s brightest minds to lead our endless engagement with science, technology, manufacturing and much more
- People First – people are our power and passion
- Daring – being first and doing things differently, constantly challenging ourselves and embracing change in this dynamic world we live in
- Modern Life – crafting our work around the way people live today, seeking for authentic, inherent realities, identifying trends alongside timeless truths, welcoming the world’s diverse beauty with open arms
“We are delighted to announce our 20th anniversary and invite all of you to join our global celebration. With 20 years of successful and impactful operation behind us, we are excited and committed towards the future – for you, for life,” said Lior Dayan, Alma’s CEO.
SOURCE: Alma Lasers
Learn more about Quantum Technology and Quantum Mechanics with Dr. André Xuereb at TCE2019 Prague
Decades of research, laboratory curiosities, and world-changing effect notes are starting to be implemented worldwide and the age of quantum is here.
Whenever we are talking about the atomic clock (which already 69 years old) or supercomputers, everything in the natural world can be described by quantum mechanics.
Although, the theory was born a century ago, what is notable about the effort now is that the challenges are no longer scientific but have become matters of engineering. A new industry is born and the future definitely looks exciting as the quantum industry covers far more than just quantum computing. Quantum technology harnesses the strange behavior of tiny particles for a whole range of applications, including navigation tools, enhanced imaging technology, and extremely precise timing devices.
Quantum techniques can also be used to improve the efficiency and capacity of communication channels on a global scale and the method used is Photonics.
The method is focused on the use of light particles, photons, to transmit or carry information. This has been proved to be a less resource-intensive process, since photons are more accessible than other sources of energy, and fiber cables weigh around 40 times less than cables currently used for telephone lines and broadband internet.
During the inaugural PICANTE Tech Conference Europe, we are bringing together industry leaders, scientist and will discuss (among other topics) the investment opportunities in Quantum Technology and Nanotech.
The panel discussion which is titled “Discussions and Investment Opportunities in Quantum Technology and Nanotech” will be joined by Dr. André Xuereb, Professor of Atomic and Quantum Physics at the University of Malta.
About Dr. André Xuereb
André Xuereb is physicist from Malta. He read for an undergraduate degree in mathematics and physics at the University of Malta, a Ph.D. in theoretical physics at the University of Southampton in the UK, and a master degree in entrepreneurship at the University of Malta. He is a professor of atomic and quantum physics at the University of Malta, is Science Policy Officer of the Malta Chamber of Scientists, represents Malta on several European research networks, and was recently elected as the first Maltese member of the Global Young Academy. André has an active career in science, having established and leading the quantum research group at the University of Malta, and co-owns an educational software startup.
PICANTE Tech Conference Europe is designed to bring both people and knowledge together and provides the excellent ecosystem of networking and learning opportunities without interruptions with emphasis on comfort and communication. After learning from genuine world-class experts and wayseers, meeting achievers shaping the B2B ecosystem, all attendees will get the chance to grab a drink and relax while networking at the evening social gathering.
Seats are limited (Super Early Bird Rate – valid through 30th of June)
Elekta Wins 2019 ‘Medical Device Engineering Breakthrough’ Award From MedTech Breakthrough
Annual awards program recognizes outstanding health and medical technology products and companies
Elekta (EKTA-B.ST), today announced that MedTech Breakthrough, an independent organization that recognizes the top companies and solutions in the global health and medical technology market, has presented the “Medical Device Engineering Breakthrough” award in the 2019 MedTech Breakthrough Awards program to Elekta for its Elekta Unity MR-linac.
Elekta Unity combines two technologies: a state-of-the-art 1.5T MRI scanner and a best-in-class 7 MV linear accelerator, driven by breakthrough real-time adaptive radiotherapy software. It provides the ability to reshape the dose based on daily changes in shape, size and position of the tumor and surrounding healthy anatomy, as visualized with MRI, and then enables accurate dose delivery with real-time visualization of the tumor.
“We reserve our Medical Device Engineering Breakthrough award for recognizing transformative technology and Elekta Unity is a shining example of groundbreaking medical technology deserving of this designation,” said James Johnson, managing director, MedTech Breakthrough. “In addition to Elekta Unity displaying breakthrough engineering that combines precision radiation therapy and high-field MR imaging, Elekta Unity addresses one of the most critical healthcare issues in the world with a focus on providing the next generation of cancer care.”
The mission of the MedTech Breakthrough Awards is to honor excellence and recognize the innovation, hard work and success in a range of health and medical technology categories, including Robotics, Clinical Administration, Telehealth, Patient Engagement, Electronic Health Records, mHealth, Medical Devices, Medical Data and many more. This year’s program attracted more than 3,500 nominations from over 15 different countries throughout the world.
“It’s an honor for Elekta to win this prestigious award,” said Richard Hausmann, Elekta’s President and CEO. “The Unity system’s breakthrough technology demonstrates our leadership in precision radiation medicine and commitment to the needs of the patient and cancer care team delivering treatment.”
Robert Woolston, Managing Director at DCA Design International, Elekta’s design partner for the MR-linac system, commented, “Congratulations to all involved in the development of Elekta Unity. We are delighted to see this system winning award after award and most importantly to see it improving cancer patients’ radiotherapy experience and outcomes, as it ushers in a transformation in precision and personalized cancer treatment.”
Through Elekta Unity’s integrated and responsive software, tumors and surrounding tissue can be precisely located, their movement tracked, and treatment adapted in real time based on live information. This allows treatment plans to be adapted while the patient is on the table in response to changes in tumor position, shape, biology and the relationship to sensitive organs over time.
Subscribe to PICANTE via Email
Follow us on Facebook
Shortages of Low-Skill, Middle-Skill, and High-Skill Workers Causing Revenue Declines and Other Headaches for Employers, TrueBlue’s Latest Study Finds
Law Firm of Estey & Bomberger Reports: Uber Says Nearly 6,000 Rapes, Sexual Assaults Occurred in Two-year Period
Best’s Market Segment Report: AM Best Maintains Global Reinsurance Market Outlook at Stable
Play harnesses ADVA timing solution for 5G-ready mobile network
Japan’s Friendship Ties Programs JENESYS 2019 ASEAN Inbound Program 15th Batch
Alfresco Wins 2019 Aragon Research Innovation Award for Content Management
Mark Your Calendars! Best Buy Unveils 12 Days of Deals
Chorus.ai Wins 2019 Aragon Research Innovation Award for Conversational AI
The 3rd HK Store of “A Happy Pancake” Finally Opens!!
Dynatrace Announces Pricing of Follow-On Offering By Selling Stockholders
Interview with Branislav (“Banne”) Gjorcevski (CEO at IT Labs)
Burrelles Announces Corporate Partnership With Talkwalker to Provide Social Listening Services to Clients
List of iPhone, AirPods, iPad, MacBook & Apple Watch Black Friday Deals (2019): The Top Apple Watch 5, iPhone 11, XS, MacBook Pro & iPad Pro Sales Compared by Save Bubble
Venture Capital Investment in FinTech: A Visualisation
6 Tips For Keeping Your Carpet Super Clean
Enterprise Rent-A-Car Smashes Children In Need Fundraising Target Thanks to Bespoke Donation Solution
Pourquoi le standard PCI DSS est-il incontournable pour fiabiliser les transactions en ligne dans le secteur du tourisme
The Best iMac & Mac Black Friday & Cyber Monday Deals (2019): List of Apple Mac & iMac Mini, Pro Savings Shared by The Consumer Post
Investors’ confidence in P2P lending is growing in Europe
Here’s the Best Android Smartphone Black Friday & Cyber Monday 2019 Deals: List of Moto, OnePlus, LG, HTC, Pixel & Galaxy Cell Phone Sales Listed by Consumer Walk
Follow our Tweets
Beauty and Lifestyle7 days ago
Is It Safe To Drive On CBD?
Business Wire6 days ago
HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Samsung Gear & PSVR Cyber Monday Deals (2019): Top VR Headset Sales Researched by The Consumer Post
IT7 days ago
Rovio Entertainment Corporation: Repurchase of own shares on 29 November 2019
Business Wire7 days ago
Garmin Black Friday 2019 (ForeRunner, Fenix, Vivosmart, Instinct, etc) Smartwatch Deals Listed by Deal Answers
Business Wire6 days ago
Monitor Cyber Monday Deals (2019): Top Samsung, Acer, ASUS, HP, G-Sync & LG Monitor Sales Researched by Consumer Articles
IT7 days ago
CORRECTION: MOBI724 Global Solutions (TSX-V: MOS) Announces Q3 2019 Financial Highlights
IT7 days ago
VirtualArmour Reports Q3 2019 Results; Services Revenue Exceeds Product Sales Revenue For First Time
IT7 days ago
StrongPoint ASA: 500 Cash Guard units to BULLION it