OLDWICK, N.J.–(BUSINESS WIRE)–In this AMBestTV episode from the 2019 Les Rendez-Vous de Septembre (Rendez-Vous) conference in Monte Carlo, Monaco, reinsurers and related professionals say the reinsurance market is evolving as companies follow a broader, more diversified path. Click on http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rvswrap3919 to view the entire program.
“How insurance-linked securities (ILS) has taken on an increasingly important role within the reinsurance industry is one of the ways the overall market has evolved,” said Greg Wojciechowski, president and chief executive officer, Bermuda Stock Exchange.
“My view of the reinsurance market in Bermuda, which is the third largest reinsurance market in the world, is how Bermuda intersects with reinsurance within the ILS space,” said Wojciechowski. “One of the things I find interesting is how ILS has progressed from the ‘ugly stepchild’ that no one wanted to talk about, to now being considered as a partner capital. Now, ILS is being look upon as being part of a broader strategy within the reinsurance industry.”
Greg Carter, managing director, analytics, AM Best, highlighted how much the reinsurance market has changed.
“The reinsurance industry is a very different market from what it was 10-20 years ago. Reinsurers are no longer specialist reinsurers, or very few are, and the industry as a whole is offering a much more broader range of coverage. … Consequently, the larger, more successful players are involved in a much broader, diversified path to success.”
Other people that appear in this episode:
- Kathleen Reardon, chief executive officer, Hamilton Re;
- Frieder Knupling, group chief risk officer, SCOR;
- Talbir Bains, founder and group chief executive officer, Volante Group LTD; and
- Henning Ludolphs, managing director, Hannover Re.
To access a copy of AM Best’s recent Best’s Market Segment Report on the global reinsurance industry, visit http://www3.ambest.com/bestweek/purchase.asp?record_code=277679.
For full video coverage of the Rendez-Vous conference, including exclusive executive interviews, visit http://www.ambest.tv/rvs19.
Recent AMBestTV episodes include:
- ‘The Future Looks Bright,’ Say (Re)Insurance Industry Executives: Attendees at Rendez-Vous say the reinsurance market has stabilized after a difficult period marked by declining profitability, lower return-on-equity and significant natural catastrophes: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rvswrap2919.
- ‘What a Difference a Year Makes,’ Say Analysts at AM Best’s Rendez-Vous Reinsurance Briefing: AM Best analysts at Rendez-Vous say that following the “doom and gloom” of the previous couple of years, reinsurance pricing has improved and opportunities in the cyber market abound: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=rvswrap1919.
- Evolving Reinsurance Environment Calls for New Strategies, Say AM Best Analysts: Robert DeRose, senior director, and Scott Mangan, associate director, discuss the sustainability of the reinsurance industry’s newfound underwriting discipline: http://www.ambest.com/v.asp?v=globalrereport819.
AM BestTV covers exclusive AM Best and insurance industry information and reports, targeted topics and key developments in the insurance, reinsurance and related sectors daily. Sign up for alerts of episodes at http://www.ambest.com/multimedia/ambtvsignup.html. View AM BestTV episodes at http://www.ambest.tv.
AM Best is a global rating agency and information provider with a unique focus on the insurance industry. Visit www.ambest.com for more information.
Copyright © 2019 by A.M. Best Company, Inc. and/or its affiliates. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Group Vice President, Publication and News Services
+1 908 439 2200, ext. 5561